Wednesday, October 1, 2008

October already!

Wow... I can't not blog on the first day of October. I love this month...the cool weather... the changing leaves (as long as I don't have to rake them!)...and most of all pumpkins!!!!!
Yummy! I have already started the pumpkin pie baking and soon to make the pumpkin bread. This time of year the cravings for such treats are overwhelming.

Hard not to get overwhelmed by the amount of knowledge to know and learn in the medical field. I think Nurse Practitioners are great but I am right now somewhat disappointed in my education. I have a year to go so hopefully it will get better and better. Maybe is just disappointment in myself and the vast amount of learning I have yet to go. I felt similar feelings after I just started as a brand new nurse. The school and only semi prepare you for the real world challenges ahead.

My beef right now: You come to the health care provider and complain of a sore throat....do you want to hear about nursing theorists or controversial issues in the healthcare or abstract comcepts ......no you don't...but that is what my professors are testing me over right now...in the form of a 6 hour essay test....you come because you hurt and you want a cure...you want antibiotics...which you really probably don't need cause it is just a virus...but I will give you a script because that is what makes you happy and "what you pay for" Crazy medical world!

2 comments:

the fredin's said...

pleasing the patient is dumb. :)

Anonymous said...

Unless I am the patient. I am a hypochondriac so I liked to be pleased. We miss you melisa! we should go out to dinner or go do something sometime!